I was asked to do some photo editing and layout design for a family album recently. All the information was provided in a simple word document, so I wanted to spice it up a little by adding some historic photos, and making the layout more similar to how a published book would look. I found a number of old photos, fixed any problem areas, and laid out the design. I did the entire project using Illustrator and Photoshop. Here it is.Family History (Proper Layout)
I can’t take full credit for the idea of a Beatles’ Christmas card, because I have seen some in the past, but I did wanted to make this design all my own. My Mom is a huge Beatles fan and is going to see a pretty recognized cover band in January. I thought I would create a card to celebrate both Christmas and the upcoming concert. I used Photoshop to design it. First, I found a great photo of the band setting around in heavy coats so I thought that would be perfect for Christmas. I had to cut around each member to delete the original background. Next, if found some vector Santa hats, re-sized, shaped, and angled them to fit properly. I found a fireplace background and attempted to make them look like they were setting around listening to a Christmas story. With some shadowing and dark strokes, I managed to put them into the scene. On the inside of the card, I used an old cursive font that closely resembled Lennon’s style. With it I wrote “Look forward to seeing you at the Rock Box soon! Merry Christmas!” Next, I found each of the member’s signatures online and added them to the card. I printed both sides and the project was complete.
I like to create personalized cards every once in a while and decided to do so for my mom’s birthday. I found a Photoshop template online for the average card measurements and went to work. I knew pink and purple would be my main colors so the background was easy to do. I added a texture filter to the main area and then created a beveled border with a glass filter around the edges. The flowers I found online were all the same color, so I adjusts the color balance to get more of a variation. The vines originally had their own background but I adjusted the opacity to lighten it. Lastly, I chose a feminine cursive font and proceeded to the inside of the card. I left the vines the same and took out the flowers to leave some room for a personalized written message. I liked the poem that I found online so I added it to complete the card.